Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dangerous Business

Being in the cavalry business means you can never relax. Over the years I have learned that when your horse is calm and everything seems safe, that is the time to be worried. Today I was participating in a trail ride with General Campbell who was visiting Fort Huachuca. General Campbell is the FORSCOM commander and it was kind of a big deal to be invited along (or more like directed to go) even if the general had no idea who I was. The Buffalo Corral mounted him up on a big Appaloosa and his two aids on a couple of small quarterhorses and off we went. I was riding Apache the Wonder Horse since we are experiencing a shortage of horses at the moment and I didn't want to deprive the riding school of one of the easy-to-ride school horses. Apache is a handfull on any day but he particularly doesn't like anything new. I was also in a hurry because I had only been given about 25 minutes notice of the General's arrival. I knew Apache would have trouble riding away from the herd he is so bound to so rather than get into a fight with him I just led him over to the Buffalo Corral. After introducing myself to the General and his staff (they still had no idea who I was or why I was going with them) we mounted up and rode out. My guard was up and I was careful to keep my legs down and my weight centered as we rode along through the trees an up into the canyons. One never knows when Apache is going to take offense at something and rear up. Everytime the trail boss would go into a canter, Apache would contemplate going to the races but he stayed under control even if he didn't want to. But of course, it is not the thing you expect that gets you, it's what you don't expect. The Buffalo Corral horses decided they didn't like Apache with all his snorting and erratic behavior. As I was trying to speak to one of the aides, I got my horse too close and the Buffalo Corral horse threw a hoof at Apache. He missed Apache but nailed me on the inside of my left knee. This is not the first time I've been kicked in the knee---more like the third time. I can tell you it hurts. Luckily the horse missed my knee cap and only hit the top of the leg bone. I'm not crippled but I will be sporting a big easter egg on my knee tomorrow. So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment