Sunday, May 3, 2009

Scout Huts










Back in the 70's when B Troop was first established they renovated one of the old scout huts on Apache Flats on Fort Huachuca for their own use. The huts were made of adobe and had a walled yard. The Army Indian scouts had lived in them for many years but with the retirement of the Indians the huts had fallen into disrepair. The huts were along the road that now leads to the RV park on post. There is nothing left of the huts now. Not even a brick. I had Kerm Breakfield who used to ride as a scout for B Troop in the 70's show me where the hut used to be. Former trooper Bob Key also sent me a few photographs of the B Troop hut which are shown here. I am trying to get the museum to find me some photos of the huts as they existed when the Indians lived in them but haven't received anything yet. It is too bad none of the huts were preserved for their historical value.







No comments:

Post a Comment