Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Horse Checks

Today was horse check day where we physically examine each horse to see if they have any injuries. Well, Debbie checks the horses, I just hold them to make myself feel useful. Most of them were okay but several had conditions that warranted taking them out of their pens to check for lameness. That is my other role during these checks, I get to run with the horses. That is, I run up the road as fast as I can with the lead rope in my hand while the horse lazily trots along beside me. Debbie watches their feet and how they move and will sometimes see something. Then she'll ask me to watch while she runs the horse but I never see anything. She does the same thing while checking the horse's backs for soreness. She'll detect some strange quiver in a muscle and then ask me if I can feel it. I never do. Feels like a horse's back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment