Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wonder Horse Rides Again

I haven't ridden Wonder Horse since we left Nebraska. I've been a little under the weather lately so wasn't able to ride much last week. Plus I'm trying to get Mr. Foxy Trot conditioned and trained for cavalry work.

Apache was pretty good today at first. We went up to the training area and practiced the basics--transitions, bending, lead changes, etc. He was doing pretty well and hit most of the lead changes right. He wss moving well and having fun so I took him over to the jogging track to work on controlled galloping. Unfortunately, some other fella came over to practice his calf roping skills in the same area. He was blocking the jogging track and flinging his lariat and doing all kinds of things that was getting Apache worked up. I moved over to another area but Apache was hot and wasn't coming back down. So we called it a day. Still got in a good 45 minutes of quality riding.

I had some help in the morning with washing our trucks. One of our troopers has a foster daughter trying to work off some community service time. I, on occasion, take on youngsters trying to work off their community service or soldiers awaiting trial. I find it interesting that other people think what I do for a living every day is a form of punishment. The soldiers usually end up going AWOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment