Thursday, March 3, 2011

Easy Job

This morning when I got to the stables I had a plan of action knowing that I had to ride in a ceremony tomorrow and would need to take care of my Friday chores today. I fed and mucked out my horses but found I needed to get another bag of grain out of the grain shed. When I opened the shed, I realized I needed to pick up another load of grain, as we were nearly out of everything.

I made a mental note of that fact and went to get the pressure washer out of the tool shed because I needed to clean out the water trough in the main pasture before we turned horses out tomorrow. I was able to knock that task out in 30 minutes and returned to get the keys for the truck so I could go get grain. However, I then remembered I was supposed to go pick up one of our horse trailers from the repair shop, so I shifted gears to fit that task into the day. When I arrived to pick up the trailer the maintenance guy told him he still needed to check the lights once I got the trailer hooked up. We did that and he made a few quick repairs and then I was off. I returned to the stables and jumped in another truck to go get grain.

The grain purchasing process went quicker than normal, which was good because I still needed to give Wyatt his daily rehab session. When I got back to the stables and unloaded the half ton of grain I'd purchased, I noticed that the pin in the hitch receiver was missing. I guessed that the missing part might be in the back of another truck and I was right but, discovered that this other truck also had a fully discharged battery for some reason. I made a mental note of that problem and then turned to the task of working with Wyatt.

My plan was to pony Wyatt behind Charlie again but I determined that I didn't have time to saddle up Charlie. Wyatt needs a 30 minute work out and adding Charlie to the process makes it an hour long process. I didn't have an hour, thus, I walked Wyatt over the poles for 30 minutes on foot. While I was doing that another trooper arrived at the stables to give me a report on the ceremony rehearsal that he had attended that morning. Seeing an opportunity, I asked him to jump start the dead truck while I worked with Wyatt.

By the time I'd finished with Wyatt, the trooper had gotten the truck started, so we repositioned all the trucks and trailers where they were supposed to be and then I took the truck with the battery problem on a drive around the fort to recharge it. When I got back, I took a quick lunch break at my desk while sorting through e-mail messages.

After lunch, I saddled up Apache to give him a workout on the jogging track again. We worked some more on lead changes, bending, and transitions. It was a pretty good workout and the Wonder Horse was well lathered about 15 minutes into it. About that time another trooper showed up in his jeep and stopped to talk to me while I was working Apache. He made a remark about what a good job I had, "You just sit around and ride horses."

Ha ha. He was kidding...I hope.

2 comments: