Thursday, March 1, 2012

Getting Back Into The Saddle

I haven't been writing much lately as I don't have much to report. I'm still very limited in what I can do since my riding accident. I can ride, but can't put a lot of pressure on my foot or even wear a decent pair of boots. I've been doing all my riding in tennis shoes. The leg and foot are healing, but very slowly. The doctor said it could take nine months for it to heal completely. Great. Only seven months to go.

I did manage to ride the Wonder Horse a couple of times this week. We are just working on simple things like staying on the bit and staying collected. It is a slow and boring process, but it keeps me in the saddle at least a little bit. I've also tried to ride Duke a few times, but he is not as stable a platform as Apache, so I'm reluctant to do much with him. He has a dry cough and when he puts his head down to cough, it gives me flashbacks to the day he fell down and landed on top of my leg. It is very unnerving.

We are getting ready for our annual trip to Picacho Peak for the Civil War in the Southwest on 10-11 March. Unfortunately, it does not look like I will be able to ride in it as I still cannot get my foot into a cavalry boot. I just can't bend the foot enough. I also can't spend long periods of time on my feet in general which makes me pretty much useless around camp. However, I will go anyway and look after the horses and do what I can. If nothing else, maybe I can take some photos to share with everyone.


Me at Picacho Peak in happier times.

No comments:

Post a Comment