Monday, August 31, 2009

Finding Horses and Losing My Keys


Debbie and I drove up to Safford today to check out a new prospect for purchase. The horse was an 8 year old Missouri Fox Trotter. We checked out his temperament which seemed pretty good. He was apparently used for packing and hunting in the mountains. He was not at all bothered by the cap gun or anything else that Debbie threw at him. He did keep a close eye on Debbie though as she moved around him. He wasn't shod very well and he has a touch of mange but otherwise a reasonably healthy specimen. When I got ready to load him up for the trip back to Fort Huachuca, I realized I had locked my keys inside the truck. Debbie wanted me to lock the cab because her purse was in there but I forgot to take the keys out. I fashioned a key-retrieval device out of some wire and a horse whip and used it to hook the keys through the crack I left in the window. I managed to get the keys all the way to the crack when the wire slipped and dropped the keys into the map pocket in the door. Fortunately, the stable owners knew someone with a device they could use to open the door. It wasn't a lot more sophisticated then my manufactured key-retriever but there's did the job. Anyway, we got the new horse back to the fort and we will see if he can pass an Army physical.

No comments:

Post a Comment