Friday, December 18, 2009

Horse Medicine


My plans to ride today were scuttled this morning when I realized my left knee was sore and I was having trouble walking. I'm not sure if I strained it while riding the Wonder Horse yesterday or did something else stupid. Unfortunately, my knee brace was at home (I have a brace for every joint in my body now). I called Debbie and asked if she could bring it by when she came into town to pick up Daniel from school but it turned out his school was already on the holiday break so she wouldn't be coming. Debbie suggested a hock boot but when I tried it I found out that it was designed with a bend in it to accommodate the bend in the horse's hock. Unless I was willing to walk around with my leg at a 45 degree angle all the time this solution would not work. So instead, I found a red leg bandage that I began to wrap around my knee. I had to drop my pants to do this and I was terrified that someone would walk into my office while I was applying the bandage. The jokes about emergency red speedos would never end. Fortunately, no one came so my secret is safe. The bandage worked by the way.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the horse stuff really works on the humans too! :-) One time I strained my shoulder at the stables and was hurting really bad. The stableowner (who trains harness racing horses) was putting liniment on one of the horses and he offer me some. Without a second thought, I applied some and it worked well. The only downside is that it's pretty pungent and when I got home, it definately gave the house an interesting aroma (although my wife, strangley enough, didn't object). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have likewise used the horse liniment. You have to be careful of which horse medications you use though. Debbie once had to stop one of the troopers from taking a tablet of bute to cure a migraine.

    ReplyDelete