Thursday, December 17, 2009

Rubbed the Wrong Way

I took out the Wonder Horse for a ride today. It has apparently been a while. He was a little excited. Duke was instantly jealous and began making noises as soon as I started tacking up Apache. I walked Apache out to the dressage area to set up the markers and remove some of the rocks that accumulate there. After that was done, I mounted up and tried to walk Apache through the pattern. He was wanting to do things a lot faster but to his credit stayed under control. When we increased speed to the trot he wanted again to go faster but still stayed under control. I figured once we went to the gallop he'd put his head down and start bucking but to my surprise he didn't resort to his usual tricks. A smooth ride, though, it was not. He was all full of energy and was more focused on expending his stored up resources than he was in moving smoothly with me. Apache was changing leads and transitioning fairly well but he and I were not in sync. It wasn't long before I began to feel the effects on my body. When you aren't moving in unison with your horse, the saddle rubs you in places you don't want to be rubbed. Since I wanted to be able to ride again tomorrow, I called it quits after about 30 minutes and walked back to the tie up area with Apache at my elbow. When we were back in the tie up area, Duke expressed his displeasure at my leaving him while Apache expressed his pleasure at being taken out by licking me like he was a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment