Friday, June 18, 2010

Duke Rides Again

We had another ceremony on Brown Parade Field this morning and I took Duke for his second appearance. He did much better today. I don't know if the improvement was due to the "sacking out" training I've doing with him or just because it was his second time. He started out pretty jumpy as we formed up on the field. I requested the troopers on either side of me give me a little room so I could work with him. Every time he tried to backup or turn, I'd spur him firmly but gently back into position. By the time we go to the playing of the National Anthem he was able to stand fairly quietly. He even got used to the saber moving around his head. When we did the 'pass in review' I was prepared for him to jump out of line again but as he had a horse on his right this time and the band on his left, he had no interest in leaving the column. He did pretty well in the charge as well, although I did not load any rounds into my pistol. He moved up into the skirmish line well and had good speed as we galloped up the field. In fact, I had to rein him back a little to keep from passing the lead horse. It is amazing how a few months in the Army have transformed him from a skinny, weak, broken down nag into a big, healthy, fast moving, war horse. Duke came out of the charge okay and I didn't have to strain at the bit to stop him. The ceremony was laid out in such a way that the run out we usually use, to the left of the gazebo, had a set of bleachers in it. Thus, we had to halt well short of where we usually stop. I was worried that the horses might come out of the charge too abruptly and dump a rider when they saw the bleachers. I warned everyone beforehand but we had no problems. Duke calmed down pretty quickly after the charge and stood pretty well for photos and nose petting after. All in all, a good day for Duke and he is well on his way to becoming a solid cavalry horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment