Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Riding the Wonder Horse

Since we didn't ride last night I decided to saddle up Apache after lunch to do some work. Naturally, the second I fit the bit into his mouth I heard a clap of thunder and it began to rain. I looked up and saw a big thunderstorm forming directly over the stables. I don't mind riding in the rain, but riding in thunderstorms is not a healthy activity. Cursing, I removed all Apache's tack and went back inside until the storm passed.

An hour later I tried again and got Apache out into the training area. We worked on horsemanship which he is fairly good at. For the Level 3 horsemanship event this year at the Cav Games, we have to trot into the arena beside our horse before mounting. Then, we have to mount without our horse moving and salute the judge. I practiced this several times with Apache while a group of Mexican laborers watched while resting in a shady area nearby. They must have wondered what in the heck I was doing. Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun, right?

I also worked on a portion of the test in which I have to back up my horse. Apache doesn't do this very well. He'll back up a few steps but usually gets sideways in the process. I have to focus on my cues to keep him straight and backing the required distance. Sometimes I forget to apply leg pressure at the right time and Apache gets confused and frustrated. I have to work on disciplining myself to give the right cues so the horse understands what I want. Of course, with the recent rain combined with the heat, there was rivers of sweat pouring down my face and into my eyes as I tried to work on this. Finally, I got the response I was looking for and decided to call it a day. An hour on Apache on a cool day is hard but in the August heat, it is brutal.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with that event. The rain has stopped here today!
    The sun is out, but! There are one or two clouds about.

    ReplyDelete