Friday, January 14, 2011

Back in the Saddle and More Horse Dreams



Photos by Ty Holland

I had a rare opportunity to have a riding school class during duty hours today. Usually, I have to hold the classes in the evening when everyone else is off work. Since today was a "training holiday" for active duty personnel and all my students are Army soldiers, I was able to teach my class and still come home for dinner on time.

Yesterday, I ran into a former trooper, Bill, who just returned from Afghanistan. He didn't duck behind his tack shed quick enough so I immediately pressed him into service again. He joined our class today and I was glad to have him help out. Bill hasn't even gone to work with his unit yet but is already riding again. Priorities.

The ladies began the process of teaching our female student how to ride sidesaddle while I took the males over to the arena for saber handling instructions and mounted drill practice. It all went well although I understand the ladies had a bit of a rodeo with Cody. I don't think he likes the sidesaddle.



Before the class began, we all stood around and watched Apache enjoying a very sound nap. He was dreaming about something exciting as he was squeaking and grunting and moving his feet. It was pretty amusing and we were all sad when he woke up and shook himself off.

No comments:

Post a Comment