Thursday, January 13, 2011

Horse Dreams

I've been getting a fair amount of riding in since the Christmas break. I admit I didn't go anywhere near a horse during the holidays accept to feed them. I just sat around and got fat. Now I'm paying for my self indulgence. If I spend more than two weeks away from riding, my body quickly loses the calluses and muscle tone needed to keep my comfortable in the saddle. I've ridden three times in the last six days. Not casual trail riding, but hard work in the arena and training areas. My body is still trying to catch up.

Because of the cold, we have moved the riding school to weekends. It is much more pleasant to ride in the daylight when it's warm outside. And the weather here is perfect. Not warm enough to cause you to get sweaty but not cold enough to require a jacket. Everyone seems to prefer having riding school on Saturday instead of Tuesday night. It it much more pleasant for me as well since I don't have to put in a 14 hour day at the stables on Tuesdays.

I caught Charlie taking a nap today. He was out cold in his stall. He was dreaming about something. His lips and nostrils were moving and his back legs were kicking. I stood and watched him for several minutes wondering what horses dream about. Something exciting apparently.

2 comments: