Monday, May 23, 2011

Cal's First Session


I did not ride Cal last weekend as I was nursing some injuries inflicted upon me by Monster Monte and the Wonder Horse last week. However, I was sufficiently healed up enough today to give him a try. So far, I'd only ridden him once at his owner's stables.

Like last time, I had a bit of trouble getting him groomed and tacked up. He has some sort of issue with his back legs. He was reluctant to let me pick them up. However, with patience and determination we managed to get through that ordeal. He has a tendency to wander around the tie up post (I don't have cross ties) which is annoying but, again, I patiently moved him back to his position every time he wandered. He is also a little bit cinchy, but not bad. He took the bit with no trouble at all.

I took him to the arena to mount up and to my surprise he moved a little prior to mounting. However, he could see our other horses in the north pasture and he was completely focused on them. He can't wait to meet them and he told them so. I managed to get on him without mounting blocks despite his height. He's really no worse than getting on Monte or Charlie.

Once aboard this massive beast, we moved out at a walk and did a few turns. I know that I'm not using the cues he is used to, as he seemed a little confused by my directions. Next, we went to a trot, and he was smooth and slow. Again, we made a few turns and worked around some cones in the arena. Then, I asked him to canter. As I recalled from the first ride, he is reluctant to go to a canter. Of course, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Hot cavalry horses are dangerous, and you can get better performance out of a lazy horse since you don't have to worry about them bolting. His canter is unique, to say the least. I'd describe it as a gentle rocking canter. Sort of like sailing a boat. Although reluctant to canter at first, once he got going, he wanted to keep going. A good sign. Sort of like Charlie in that regard.

While I was rocking Cal around the arena, the cinch slipped back behind his belly into the bucking strap area. He was putting his head down and shaking it slightly which I didn't understand, but Debbie, who was watching explained what had happened. I stopped, dismounted and undid the cinch. I was amazed. Any other horse would have exploded into a windmill of tail, legs, and mane.

All in all, a good first session. I'm looking forward to learning more about Cal. However, I think I will bring a breast collar next time as there is something about the way he moves that causes the saddle and cinch to move backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment