Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Bad Cues

I rode the Wonder Horse today as I had been away for a week and he was acting like he wanted to get out.  I took him over to our recently constructed practice arena and got him moving.  The ground in the arena isn't quite flat yet, but its getting there.  Apache didn't seem to mind though as he is pretty sure footed and can navigate just about any type of terrain. 
The Wonder Horse in action
Until today, that is.  We were galloping around the arena at a pretty good clip when I decided to change directions.  I put him on the long diagonal after a right turn and he seemed to understand we were changing directions.  I felt him attempt a flying lead change even though I hadn't cued him and figured he didn't need the cue at that point since he already knew what we were doing.  I thought wrong.  He didn't execute the lead change correctly and remained on a right lead as we headed into the left turn.  I could tell he was on the wrong lead, but instead of dropping down to a trot and executing the lead change, I let him power through the turn.  Apache, again tried to change leads while we were already in the turn.  He probably would have pulled it off if the ground had been flat, but he instead tripped and went down on his left leg.  I saw the ground rushing up and figured I was a goner, but at the last second he came up and we avoided the wreck. 
 
I stopped him, dismounted and checked out his knee as I thought he had gone down on it.  I didn't see any scrapes on his knee, so I walked him around to see if he was lame.  He looked fine, so I mounted up again and continued the lesson.  He was fine after that, but I didn't try anymore flying lead changes.  I figured I'd better quit while I was ahead.  Nevertheless, it was a good ride and we both enjoyed it. 

2 comments:

  1. Flying lead changes???? Not even in my horses vocabulary. I would be happy if I could get him to even start off on the correct lead. We are working on it, but man it is hard!
    He looks like a wonder horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they are in my vocabulary, but I'm not very good at them.

    ReplyDelete