Monday, March 25, 2013

Budget Cuts

With the implementation of the seq...seek...sqwa...uh...budget cuts, the Troop is going to have to get along without its previously enjoyed state of abundant funding and support.  Although we haven't had a budget in almost four years, we are now being cut to the bone.  Supposedly, as of the end of this month, government employees will be furloughed one day a week. 
 
This is a complication for me because I have over 300 hours of compensatory time built up.  The comp time is meant to be used up in the form of time off.  If the comp time is carried on the books for a year it turns into overtime pay, which the Army doesn't like because overtime pay is paid at a time-and-a-half rate.  Therefore, to avoid having the comp time turn into overtime pay, I have to take one day a week off.  I typically incur about eight hours of comp time every week, so I have to constantly take time off to avoid building up more comp time than I can burn up.  Now, with the furlough coming, I will be taking two days off a week. 
 
Now, a new rule has emerged as part of the sequestration (rhymes with castration).  Department of the Army civilians are no long permitted to work overtime.  Since the Troop is a volunteer outfit for everyone accept me, I have to put in a lot of overtime hours to help train new riders and to participate in events.  Now, this won't be happening anymore.  With two days off a week and no overtime, I'm going to have a lot of free time on my hands.  Maybe I can spend it blogging. 
 
Since I will have fewer hours to get things done and no money to maintain resources, I will have to get creative in finding ways to accomplish the mission.  The photo below is an idea for making the training of Ladies Auxiliary members more efficient.  Wish me luck. 

3 comments:

  1. It blows me away, all these budget cuts. For example the Army reserve here in WY, has started cutting hours for full time employees. Mean while they are, in the exact same month, pulling young men away from good paying full time jobs to send the to Bahrain. Now I'm sure they have a logical explanation, But financially it makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, we'd need two donkeys for 5 ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, no funds for a second donkey. The ladies will have to take turns.

    ReplyDelete