Sunday, February 2, 2014

Boone Meets His Match

On the continuing task of integrating Boone and Khyber into the herd, I added Journey and Ruger to the mix. Ruger is a low-ranking horse, but Journey is near the top.  I was interested to see how Boone would get along with a horse with a much more dominating personality than what he has encountered so far.  

When I arrived at the stables Saturday morning to feed the horses, Journey began to chase Khyber. Every time Khyber moved anywhere near the feeders, Journey would viciously attack him. It was so bad, that I had to take a flake of hay out to Khyber so that he was well-separated from the rest of the herd while he ate. Then, to my surprise, I noticed Journey standing next to Boone at the feeder. As I have noted previously, it is not normal for horses in our herd to stand side-by-side at the feeder. Usually, they position themselves so that they are on opposite sides.  Boone and Khyber are unique in that they do this routinely. Seeing Journey standing next to Boone was an absolutely extraordinary development. The two had become fast friends.

However, as I checked the horses for injuries, I realized that this new-found friendship had come at a high price.  Boone's front, left leg was covered in blood. He had a nasty wound on his knee, which I suspected might be a puncture wound. Journey also had a wound on his chest in a spot that Boone likes to go after during a fight, but it was only a minor injury.  
Boone's first serious battle injury.

I decided I would have to remove Boone from the pasture, but that I would take Khyber out first so that Boone would have a battle buddy. After I safely removed Khyber, I haltered Boone and began to move him out. At this point I realized something that I hadn't figured out before. Journey is as hooked on Boone as Khyber. Journey hadn't been driving Khyber away from the food, he was driving him away from Boone. It was a total jealousy thing. Journey came running after us as I tried to move Boone through the gate. I had to wave Journey off with my hat.  

Debbie came and treated Boone as I had a riding school class to teach. She determined that Boone did have, in fact, a puncture wound (can't imagine how that happened, unless Journey pulled a shiv). Fortunately, it was upward-tracking and it was easy to flush and drain and the wound did not enter the joint. I made my riding school students watch as Debbie probed and cleaned the wound, which they were thoroughly disgusted by, even though they are soldiers. Boone got his first bandage which was a new and confusing experience for him, but he was overall a very good patient.  

He is healing well, being a young horse, and we may put him back out to pasture tomorrow if all goes well. Welcome to the Army, Boone. 


1 comment: