Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Khyber Rides Again

With Boone out of action temporarily due to his leg injury, I continued my work with Khyber today.  He is getting much better about picking up his feet and tacks up without a problem.  I took him to the round pen so that he could still see his cousin, Boone.  The two are so close, it is like they are twins.  Sometimes I think they are communicating telepathically.  
Khyber after his training session.
I continue my work in teaching Khyber his cues.  He has been taught direct rein cues, but apparently not much in the leg cue department.  When I tried to push him to the rail with my leg, it was like pushing on granite.  However, with a combination of direct rein cue and ample use of leg, he soon figured it out.  Before long, I could adjust his distance from the rail with the use of my legs.  He is also getting better with rein cues and it is easier to change his nose direction.  

Khyber got a little snarky a few times--wanted to turn without being told and would occasionally stop.  I'd give him a second and then would gently urge him forward and he would soon comply.  I'm amazed at how easy he is to work with.  Comparing him to Apache is a world of difference.  Apache would stand on his hind legs at the slightest offense.  I endured that for several years until he calmed down.  Working with Boone and Khyber is scary for me because it is so easy.  I only wish that my schedule allowed me to work with them every day instead of just once or twice a week.  

2 comments:

  1. "working with Boone and Khyber is scary for me because it is so easy"

    Boy I can sure relate to that! I rode my little (7 yr old) mare for the first time in 2 years (mystery lameness) the other day. She is barely started under saddle but is just so soft and easy to work with. My paint who I ride every week, and who is a 12 year old "finished rope horse" is hard hard hard. But then there is a huge difference I think between working with a relatively clean slate (mare) and trying to undo 10 years of harsh handling by his former owner.

    That saddle looks comfy...is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come to the same conclusion about "clean slate" horses.

    the McClellen saddle is comfy once you get used to it.

    ReplyDelete