Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bloody Horse Hocks

One of our horses, Journey, has a "hock knot" that protrudes from his right hock. The bump just suddenly appeared a few months ago and no one can figure out why. It appears to be old scar tissue based on the results of the recent biopsy. We were not initially alarmed about it until it started to grow. In recent months it doubled in size. Our vet cut it open a couple weeks ago to try and determine what it was and to take the biopsy samples. She closed up the wound and sent Journey back to us with instructions for care. Unfortunately, the wound became swollen and when the stitches were removed, the wound opened up again. Thus, our vet returned today to scrape away the proud flesh and re suture the wound. My job during all of this is to hold the horse and try to keep him calm while the vet digs around in his leg. We had moderate success at this with the help of powerful sedatives. However, as I stood there holding Journey's head and watching the blood pour from his wound, I began to wonder at what point I became so inured to seeing so much blood. I don't know if I ever had a problem with it but I see it so often now, I don't even think about it. Bloody, nasty, infected horse wounds seems to be a regular part of my life now. Should I be proud of this or worried?

1 comment:

  1. Theres never a dull moment with the horse. From one crisis to another, then a period of calm, and then e go again. Why do we do it?

    ReplyDelete