Monday, April 12, 2010

Hoof Boulders

While checking the horses this morning out in the pasture, I noticed Wyatt had a rock stuck in his right front shoe. The rock was about four inches long and wedged into the heel of the shoe pretty tightly. I used my knife (it has a hoof picking attachment on it) to pry it out but it was a struggle. I am amazed at the kinds of things that horses get stuck in their feet. I have a small collection of odd objects on my desk that I have removed from various horses over the years. Screws, rocks, sharpened sticks, metal objects, etc. Someday I'll actually get display case to showcase all this stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I happen to have a rather large nail. My horse picked it up two hours out, on a thirty mile ride. Fortunately, she told me before it went in too far. A nice bent 6 inch nail! Managed to get the bloody thing out, but then there was an awful long walk home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good that you had the smarts to dismount and walk home. Some people will make their horse suffer just to save themselves.

    ReplyDelete