Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Too Many Horses, Not Enough Time

Our horses need training. Too many of them are hard to ride. I have new riders coming into the Troop but they don't have the skills to ride the category 2 horses--the ones with issues. Unfortunately, my graduates from last year's school don't seem to have the skills either. Or maybe it's just that they aren't reckless enough. The horse I ride, the Wonder Horse, is a beast. I dare not let any but the most experienced riders take him out. Unfortunately, I have many more like him. I need to spend time with each of the hard cases and teach them to give to the bit, drop their heads, and collect themselves. If I spent all day, every day, I might be able to do it. But that is not possible. I'm lucky to get on a horse two or three times a week even though I work in the stables. There is something very wrong with that.

1 comment:

  1. Its great to watch these guys, who teach via the Tv, how they can solve issues in a heart beat! Unfortunately, like you, I and the rest of the horse world tend to muddle through. We do our best, and try our hardest, but we really dont have a lot of time. When we do have the time, its still not enough, but we try, maybe I should make more time too.

    ReplyDelete