Thursday, March 4, 2010

Downed Rider

We were practicing for the big rodeo show on Saturday last night and had a chance to prove that old adage about horses not stepping on people. One of the features of the riding demonstration we give is that we gallop through the gate at the arena to make our entrance. Oh, and we fire a cannon at the same time so the horses are riding through the cloud of smoke. Well, our new commander, Frank was riding Monte who is known to buck during a gallop. I warned Frank about this and told him how to handle it but neglected to tell him when this phenomenon occurs. Frank was expecting it to occur as Monte entered the arena when he usually does his bucking act about two thirds into the arena. Right on cue, Monte started bucking like a bronco at the traditional point. Frank was caught completely off guard and performed a series of acrobatic maneuvers in the air before landing in the dirt. Unfortunately, he landed directly in my path. We were at a full gallop and in a column of twos. I was on the inside file and had a horse and a fence rail to my left. I had little room to move. Frank, who was laying on the ground locked eyes with me momentarily before quickly rolling to his left. I, simultaneously tried to cue Apache to move to my left although there was very little space on that side. However, Apache upon seeing Frank on the ground, had already begun to move that way anyway. We cleared Frank by a foot or two as we pounded past him. Frank, luckily, was not seriously damaged and mounted up again and performed several more practice entrances at a gallop. I honestly believe that Apache would not have stepped on Frank but he was wise to roll out of the way anyway. You have to love this business.

No comments:

Post a Comment