Wednesday, March 24, 2010

New School Thoughts and Duke

With expected loses in the ranks at the end of the year and only two male troopers in training (one injured), the Troop commander and I contemplated future school plans. We have more or less decided to have another school in October but instead of the four-month schedule of twice a week classes we will shift to an eight-month schedule of once a week classes. That will allow us to get bodies into the Troop sooner but stretch out the training so that we can work it around some of our big events in the fall. A four-month schedule doesn't have much flexibility in it and can't really be accommodated during certain times of the year. We will see how it goes.

I rode Duke today as the weather was perfect and I was getting bored with the administrative aspects of the job. I didn't really have any training goals other than to give Duke some exercise and get some fresh air. The day was sunny but still cool from last night's rain. Duke is a pretty good ride and puts no hurt on you (unlike the Wonder Horse) so it is fun and relaxing to work with him. He is definitely a pleasure riding horse. I still have lots of training to do with him but decided to take it easy today. It doesn't look like I'll need him for cavalry work anytime soon with so few troopers in training so I can afford to take my time. By the way, Duke has filled out nicely since we got him and he is looking good. A nice, tall horse.

1 comment: