Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Last Battle at Picacho


Photo by Ty Holland

Last weekend we participated in what may be the last re-enactment of the Battle of Picacho Pass. Picacho Peak State Park hosts an annual re-enactment of the battles that took place in Arizona and New Mexico during the Civil War. B Troop portrays the Union cavalry and has been doing so for many years. However, due to the state budget crisis, many of the parks are closing--including Picacho Peak.

I rode in the battle but did not take the Wonder Horse. Apache reacts violently to new experiences and since this was likely to be the last time we attend this event, I saw no reason to make him suffer through it. I rode Chili instead who doesn't really like the gunfire but doesn't doing anything dangerous in reaction. He soon figured out that if he hid behind the other horses, I couldn't shoot. I spent most of the battles trying to get Chili our from behind the other horses.

It was all fun by very tiring. I'm still trying to recover. I must be getting old.

1 comment:

  1. Not getting old! Are you? First day of spring today, its just above freezing here. Was going riding, but the coffee looks good!
    Sorry to here about the parks, didnt realise that they closed them down? I know we have budget cuts too, but our parks etc,never close.
    Must be lucky I guess. But good look with the re enactments, the photos are great!

    ReplyDelete