Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Horse Training Army Style

We were not able to hold riding school tonight because of the rain. I was tempted to mount up at 1700 as the sun had come out and it looked like the weather would clear. However, I guessed it was a sucker hole and that another squall would come over the mountain range as soon as we mounted up. Turned out I was right. I had the students come in to the office a watch some old Army cavalry training tapes. We base our training on the Army Horsemanship manual and the old films illustrate the lessons very well. As we were watching the lesson on the military seat it began to pour outside. I always enjoy watching those old tapes and was especially glad I was staying dry while doing so. The tapes (or DVDs) can be purchased through the US Cavalry Association. http://www.uscavalry.org/ Good stuff.

4 comments:

  1. Had days like that myself! That is a sign of getting older! Its "persisting" it down here today, still it might clear away, you never know, and I might get that horse out! Ever thought about putting one or two close -ups of the saddles and tack on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheyene, you can see some closeups of the tack at the following link. http://www.tyholland.com/albums/fhca/fortlowell10/fortlowell10.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with a military saddle club in the UK and we are going to the USCA Competition at Fort Concho this year. Are you going too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan, we hope to be able to send a team again this year. It would be great to meet you and your fellow club members there. It's a pretty good time.

    ReplyDelete