Sunday, January 31, 2010

Farewell to Another Old Friend

I got word on Friday that Big Louie, a former cavalry horse, finally died. He had retired from B Troop back in 2003 and went to a the ranch in Texas that belongs to the father of one of our former troopers. Lou was well into his 30's. He was a legendary horse who's heart was as big as he was. Everyone loved to ride Big Lou as he was both spirited and gentle. When I was badly injured in a riding accident in 2002, it was Big Lou who helped me get back into riding shape. He was the only horse I trusted enough not to throw me while my bones were still knitting. Big Lou had served the Army for more than 10 years. Several of us "old timers" got together at the stables Friday night and reminisced about Lou over a few beers. He was a good horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment