Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Still Raining

I still haven't been able to do any work with the horses due to the weather. I was trying to interview a new recruit for the Troop today but wasn't able to complete the riding portion because of the rain. I like to talk with each person who wants to join the unit to make sure they really know what they're getting into. Mostly I just try to find out what their personal schedule is like since being in the cavalry takes so much time. After I grill them on their commitment to the Troop, I have them do a little ground work with a horse and then have them ride. I don't do too much at this stage, just have them ride the horse at a walk in an enclosed area. You'd be surprised how much you can learn about a man by just watching him ride a horse for five minutes. The biggest concern is that the individual is afraid of the horse. Most people aren't afraid because either they are long-time riders or have never been on a horse and just don't know any better. Some, though, have been on a horse before and unfortunately have had some a bad experience that they suddenly remember once they get back up there. These people will try and bluff their way through the riding school but sooner or later, they have to resign. It is better they don't start because once you have that fear, you can't get rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment