Sunday, January 31, 2010

Good Weather Finally

Martina came out to ride on Friday like she usually does so I asked her to ride Duke while I rode Apache. Apache was wired since he'd been in his mucky pen all week but things got worse because Duke was out also. Apache and Duke fight like brothers sharing a room together. We tried to ride them on the jogging track side-by-side but there was all kinds of chaos involved. Apache was sending aggressive signals to Duke who was trying to keep his distance. However, it was Apache who became agitated to the point where I had to take him away. I let Martina work Duke on the track and I took Apache over to the dressage area. Apache settled down right away and we had a pretty good session working on circles and transitions. Meanwhile Martina was learning all about gaited horses with Duke as he tried his different gaits on her. After Apache had galloped most of his aggression out, I rejoined Martina on the jogging track and we were able to get the horse to ride side-by-side without incident. It was great to get out again and the horses seemed to like it too.

Next week I will be at the Army Equine Conference at Fort Sill so I should have some good things to report after I get back next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment