Thursday, January 21, 2010

Muddy Horses

I haven't been able to do much with horses this week because of the rain and wind. Yesterday we had a brief respite from the weather so I tried to shore up some of the horse pens. The winds are supposed to be pretty strong the next day or so and I didn't want any loose metal flying around.

The horse pens are pretty muddy so I have been cleaning out their hooves twice a day to try and prevent thrush from forming. Apache already has a touch of it so I will have to watch him closely. Duke rolled in the mud today so he looked like a dun. No sense in grooming the horses when the weather is like this since they are constantly wet and muddy.

I moved their feeders beneath the shelters so they could eat without being in the rain. If they stay beneath the shelters they have a reasonable chance of staying dry. The Army Corps of Engineers has finally started on our barn renovation project so maybe someday I will be able to keep horses inside when the weather is like this.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain! The stables here have been a swamp for the past week. All I can really do is check the feet and make sure my boy is getting enough to eat- I've kicked the groceries up since it's also been very cold, along with the driving rain. I'm hopeing for some sun this weekend.

    Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete